• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Final GUI review !

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Klaas van Gelder:
Thanx Anton ! I am still in doubt with this. Actually, my search panel WAS located in the upper right before, but that was before I had implemented a toolbar.
I think that no controls should be displayed on the same vertical position as the toolbar. In fact, I tried to include the search controls IN the toolbar (just like the url bar in Mozilla Firefox), but adding a combobox to a toolbar didnt work well...
So i am still struggling with it... :-)
Regards Klaas

I wonder if all those onscreen dialogs are needed. I present the user with a dockable toolbar containing buttons, a menu bar and a table. The search and book dialogs only appear when called up by using one of the buttons, I also provide book command on double click.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
correctly align the numerical fields of the table and currency format the price

Ranch Hand
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx 4 ur replies !

I wonder if all those onscreen dialogs are needed. I present the user with a dockable toolbar containing buttons, a menu bar and a table. The search and book dialogs only appear when called up by using one of the buttons, I also provide book command on double click.

I have also been in doubt whether to use single buttons with popup dialogs for searching and booking. I choosed not to do this because:
After a search, the search criteria are remembered even if the user books a flight. So the origin and destination of the current selection need to be presented to the user. When using a separate dialog, the dropdownboxes are not visible anymore, and extra fields need to be provided to show this info.

For the booking functionality, I choose the onscreen dialog to be consistent with the search functionality. But i am not sure whether this is the right choice....

correctly align the numerical fields of the table and currency format the price

Still on my list. The specs dont mention the currecy. Can I assume that the prices are in dollars ?

Regards, Klaas

More opinions about whether or not to use popup dialogs for searching and booking are welcome !!!

[ September 28, 2004: Message edited by: Klaas van Gelder ]

Klaas van Gelder
Ranch Hand
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

After 3 months of stress and shortage of sleep, I am about to submit the FBN application... :-)
At the moment, I am still not completely confident about the GUI. The SearchFlights pane looks a bit unnatural to me, and in the BookFlights pane, the elemnents are not really vertival aligned. Actually, I hardcoded the preferredSize for the JTextField, which is not really good practice i think.
Using a GridLayout makes all cells of the same with, which makes the textfield far too broad...

So please, who can give me some final advices to these issues. Also any other comment on my GUI is welcome !

Regards, Klaas

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, Klaas. The only change that seems good to make would be to move the search functionality on top right of the GUI. It will save you some horizontal space.

Klaas van Gelder
Ranch Hand
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx Anton ! I am still in doubt with this. Actually, my search panel WAS located in the upper right before, but that was before I had implemented a toolbar.
I think that no controls should be displayed on the same vertical position as the toolbar. In fact, I tried to include the search controls IN the toolbar (just like the url bar in Mozilla Firefox), but adding a combobox to a toolbar didnt work well...
So i am still struggling with it... :-)
Regards Klaas

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic