• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Restricting user,updating the user view/control

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So after readin a question from a fellow user I was thinking of a more general case that applies to all, of data violations. Please feel free to add to my list. Are these important... or am I realy overcomplicating things.

1. User is breaking a real world contract not specified in the requirements. Double booking rooms for exmaple.
2. The user is attempting to update a record that an other user has justupdated. Let the user know about this case?
2. The user is looking at search results and meanwhile the database has been updated. Do we need to update the user view?

The requirements imply that the user interface is just a simple view into a database. Ofcourse it also says that it should allow for easy extensability as well. I could keep it simple and still meet the requirements(I think).

Any ideas from you folks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Inuka Vincit:
So after readin a question from a fellow user I was thinking of a more general case that applies to all, of data violations. Please feel free to add to my list. Are these important... or am I realy overcomplicating things.

1. User is breaking a real world contract not specified in the requirements. Double booking rooms for exmaple.
2. The user is attempting to update a record that an other user has justupdated. Let the user know about this case?
2. The user is looking at search results and meanwhile the database has been updated. Do we need to update the user view?

The requirements imply that the user interface is just a simple view into a database. Ofcourse it also says that it should allow for easy extensability as well. I could keep it simple and still meet the requirements(I think).

Any ideas from you folks

See

Last one gets... for solutions to this. There is no requirement to keep the table up to date with changes made by other clients, but in my opinion you shouldn't allow the user to make changes based on stale data.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic