• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD book suggestions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all
Well i am still trying to understand the whole SCJD thing. I am trying to purchase a book. Do u guys recommend Kahty's book or Max's book or just purchase both of them.. Honestly reading ur threads on the assignment scares me. Ur advice on books i shud get wuld be highly appreciated.

Saheed.
SCJP 1.4
SCJD(preparing...)
Imagination is better than knowledge

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you dont undestand the scope of the problem then Max's book is good. Provides you with a good example and provides you will all the info you need.

However after dabliing in this forum for a week or so(reading past threads) I understood the problem completely and I never realy looked at the book after that. That coupled with sun refreances(from java.sun.com) was my source. This forum has some very very good threads, and is an excelent source of inormation. However like I said before you have a problem undestanding what you have to do then definitely buy Max/s book. Kathy's book book is actually a much better written book but it doesnt discuss the SCJD assignment in that much detail.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Simon Roberts and Philip Heller's 'Complete Java 2 Certification Guide' can be very useful too.
It gives very useful insight to the Developer's Certification exam approaches too.
All the best man.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Get the Mahran (Max) Habibi book. I have both Max's and Kathy's book. Kathy is great for the SCJP, but is rather light on the SCJD. Max goes into much more detail and his sample application (available to book purchasers only) is worth the price of the book. He also participates on this forum, more than Kathy, even though this is her site she has many more fish to fry.

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Saheed,

A good discussion about where those two books are placed in the marked is in this thread.

My personal recommendation would be to go with Max's book. It gives a nice structure to working through the issues of the assignment, and clearly explains each topic.

Regards, Andrew

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic