• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

RMI server

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When I look at my assginment (B&S) I see that the server part goes for 40 points. That is equal to the points given to the gui and data class.

I was wondering, because if you implement the server with RMI, you endup with one main class (which starts the RMI registry and publishes you remote database) , one remote interface and a implementation/adapter class. This are 3 classes with like 100lines of codes if you count them all.

Since it is so trivial and there is no real difficulty about it, I wonder how they are going to give those 40 points ? I mean, with RMI it works or it doesn't no ? When you build your own server (sockets/serialization) I can understand that you can make certain mistakes. But when you use RMI you use something thats allready been made, you just *use* it. And I don't see how it can be used wrong, since its so trivial.

So, am I missing certain issues ? or is this really it ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I mean, with RMI it works or it doesn't no ?

There is a little more involved, most notably the record locking mechanism that must ensure the thread safety.

Jim Janssens
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah ok, but that depends on the design. I have a database facade which is thread safe and which I remotely expose.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic