• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question about deleted records

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In my assignment (URLyBird), I have to mark a two byte deletion flag to determine if a record has been deleted or not. Now, a newly created record could take the same space in the data file as a deleted record.
Now my question is, do I need to implement anything to actually "clean" up the file at some time? Or rather, perhaps I should phrase it as "should I implement" something that cleans up the file (as this does not seem to be a MUST) so if no created record has taken the place of this record, to remove that record entirely from the datafile?
After thinking about it for a bit, I thought that I wouldn't bother as this was not a MUST in my assignment, and creation of records is not something that the client would be able to do anyway (again, not a MUST). Any opinions on the matter?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eric,
I don't think you should implement such thing, and personally I don’t think you get extra mark for doing it. Stick with requirements it’s always better.

Eric Chang
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic