• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Am i doing too much?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've got a funny feeling I'm doing too much for the assignment. I haven't even started on the actual assignment yet, I've just written a generic MVC framework to speed up client-side development. The thing is, the framework is now getting to the point where it's a project in itself (and it'll probably come in useful at some future point, so that's not a bad thing).

How much effort have other people put into their frameworks for their assignment?

Thanks,
Steve

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Zip. My experience has taught me to put very little time upfront in building a framework for a custom application. The most successful projects I've worked on have developed the framework side-by-side the application at the same time, for reasons of requiring less coding. Most importantly not to think about reusing the framework in the future for some as yet unspecified requirements. Deviating from these guidelines almost always resulted in either wasted time and/or a framework that was more of a hiderance then help, with a redesign difficult.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Steve Chaloner:

the framework is now getting to the point where it's a project in itself

I would not think about making a framework for the client GUI. In general, I would stick with a minimal implementation and not over-engineer it. This is a one-time application, there is no appreciation for a framework. Rather, you may lose points if the code is considered to be too complicated, hard to understand and maintain, under-documented, etc.

Steve Chaloner
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The framework itself is a fairly simple MVC job that uses attributes. It's not so hard to understand, and for the actual client implementation it results in views such as:

instead of the usual gui-intensive code.

(the formatting is not mine )

[ January 23, 2005: Message edited by: Steve Chaloner ]

[Andrew: Put code inside UBB code blocks]
[ January 23, 2005: Message edited by: Andrew Monkhouse ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic