• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

B&S: Book record functionality

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Folks,

I have some questions regarding the B&S assignment - I'ld appreciate it if anyone who has had similar concerns could let me know what they think...

1.When a customer books a contractor, how is the preformed? Should I update the owner field in the data file?

2.If so, why does the documentation of the databse schema state "The system you are writing does not interact with these numbers, rather it simply records them"

3.The Locking section of the instructions also states - "You may assume that at any moment, at most one program is accessing the database file; therefore your locking system only needs to be concerned with multiple concurrent clients of your server. Any attempt to lock a resource that is already locked should cause the current thread to give up the CPU, consuming no CPU cycles until the desired resource becomes available."

Does this mean I don't have to protect the data file from concurrent access?

4. Once a contractor is booked, how are they "unbooked"? Has anyone introduced the notion of booking a contractor for a period of time?

I realise that I could be asking stuff that's probably covered elsewhere on the forum, and If so I apologise but Icouldn't see anything that clarified the above issues for me.

Thanks,

Christy.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. Yes
2. This means that you really don't care what these numbers mean or how they're used. You simply enter a customer number in the database and when the record is "unbooked" you clear it.
3. This means that you don't have to worry about other applications changing the database file. You only have to worry about concurrent access from within your own application.
4. You simply clear the record. Unless your instructions state otherwise you don't have to worry about booking a contractor for a particular time.

Christy Keane
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot...that clears a few things up for me.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic