• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

GUI - requirements - interpretation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi there,

i'm not a native english speaker, so i'm not 100% sure if i understand my (B&S) requirements correctly.

corncerning the gui search, it says:

It must allow the user to search the data for all records, or for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user.

what confuses me is "search for all". my interpretation is the following:

It must allow the user to list / watch the data of all records, or to search for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user.

this means: two search fields, one for name, one for location. plus the option to list all records. right?

furthermore it says:

It must allow the user to book a selected record, updating the database file accordingly

well, unbook / release is not mentioned, but i assume it would be strange without this function?

and the last issue:

talking about releasing a record: i cannot find any rules / assumptions about booking ownership. so i would say that if one CSR books a certain record, this record can be released by this or any other CSR.

right?

many thanks for you help,
jan

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jan

this means: two search fields, one for name, one for location. plus the option to list all records. right?

Yes. However you should be aware that the Data class' find method signature does not restrict you to those two fields, so you should make sure your code is written in such a way that you could handle extra search requirements at a later date.

well, unbook / release is not mentioned, but i assume it would be strange without this function?

Candidates have passed both with and without this functionality - you will have to make a design decision (and document it).

talking about releasing a record: i cannot find any rules / assumptions about booking ownership. so i would say that if one CSR books a certain record, this record can be released by this or any other CSR.

I am a little less happy with that - this means that a customer could ring up and book a contractor, only to have their booking (effectively) overwritten by any CSR. But again, this is a design decision that you would have to make.

Regards, Andrew

Jan Groth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Andrew,

thanks for this clarification. After having put so much work into the code, i just dont want to (automatically) fail because of the lack of a certain search field or so ;-)

i'll also rethink my way of treating locks. right now, they are anonymous. my world would work if the contractors or customers call in (any CSR) to say that the work is finished.

thanks again,
jan

What do you have in that there bucket? It wouldn't be a tiny ad by any chance ...
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic