• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

RuntimeException confusion in SCJD book

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Andrew,

I was reading your book and i got confused when i came across the highlighted statement below.Are you saying we should declare the runtimeexception class in the method signature?But i thought we don't have to since this is a runtime exception. Or maybe the method signature you're referring to here is the method documentation?

If you are creating a subclass of RuntimeExceptionthat you do not expect to be caught,then it is
considered standard programming practice not to declare it in the method signature.However,if you are
trying to work around a limitation of a provided interface,then you might want to declare it in your method
signature
and in your Javadoc documentation.Many common IDEs will show the exceptions a method will
throw when it is entered,and some will even create standard catch blocks based on method signatures.In
such cases,listing the subclass of RuntimeExceptionwill help your users.

regards,
tim

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess since it is a RuntimeException, it makes no difference to the signature if it is declared or not. But it is a good idea to do declare it since explicitly declaring all thrown exceptions is recommended (so the one using the method knows exactly what may be caught).
[ February 16, 2006: Message edited by: Eiji Seki ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tim

basically you have a choice. The language does not require you to declare RuntimeExceptions and their descendents, and in the case of IndexOutOfBoundsException for instance, that's probably fine.

If on the other hand you are wrapping e.g. IOException in a RuntimeException for instance as a workaround to a limitation in an interface you have to implement, you might want to ask yourself whether it would be nice as a user of that class to know that such an exception might come up, and whether you might want to catch it. Bear in mind that YOU might not always be the user of your class...

Whether or not to declare RuntimeExceptions is a design decision, and you have to be happy with your own design decisions - because you may be asked to justify them!

Eiji Seki
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Summary: Declaring RuntimeException throws in the method signature is optional, but you should at least document it in the javadoc.

Notice that I don't discuss whether data store layer IOException should be encapsulated on a RuntimeException or not.

Tim Fernandez
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agres Declaring it in the method signature is really ok but what is bothering me is we cant change the method signature provided by sun. So declaring the exception in the method violates it. That's why now im confused why in Andrew's book he said something like declare the exception in the method signature hence my first post..

Eiji Seki
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess he meant you may declare the RuntimeExceptions on your implementation methods' signatures and javadoc. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that causes no problem with the given sun interface. For example:

Tim Fernandez
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Elji,

I have thought about the same thing. But still it was not clear in the book. I hope Andrew can clear this matter.

regards,
tim

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tim (and Elji),

Sorry, I started a new job this week, and travelled halfway around the world to do so. So I have not been paying enough attention in this forum, and missed this question when it was originally posted.

Elji - you are correct. You do not have to declare the RuntimeExceptions in your method signature, but doing so does not hurt either. You will still have implemented the interface, without changing the interface in any way.

Consider the following code:This code will compile and run quite happily, even though my interface's method signature does not include the RuntimeException. And just declaring it in my implementation does not mean that it must now be caught in the calling method - as you can see, my main() method does not acknowledge the RuntimeException at all.

Where it does make a difference is in the JavaDoc. By declaring it in the JavaDoc comments of the code, I get the following in my JavaDoc:

If I hadn't declared it in my signature and JavaDoc, I would have only had:

Nowhere near as useful for the developer trying to use your methods!

Note that according to the "Documenting Exceptions with @throws Tag" section of "How to Write Doc Comments for the Javadoc Tool", "By convention, unchecked exceptions should not be included in a throws clause.". I have contradicted this in the book, suggesting that it can be beneficial to declare the checked exceptions in the throws clause, especially in the case where you are working around a limitation of the provided interface's API and your code may be used in an IDE. For example, if I am using Eclipse, I can create the following bit of code:Eclipse will then warn me that I have unchecked exceptions, and ask me what I would like to do - add them to my method signature or create a try ... catch block for them. IF I have declared the unchecked exception in my throws clause, I will get the following code if I tell Eclipse to create the try...catch blocks:Personally, I consider that to be extremely valuable.

I am not advocating this in all cases where you might use a RuntimeException. A classic case for not doing this is something where you really need the application to stop running before something really bad happens. But in the specific case of the undesirable RuntimeExceptions being used in the SCJD assignments we might be justified in adding the uncaught exception to the throws clause.

Since this is going against standard programming practice (or at least, Sun's standard practices ), I made the following comment in the book:

If you do list the RuntimeException in the method signature and/or the Javadoc, it would be wise to add a code comment stating why you did this for the benefit of the person who is maintaining your code. In the specific case of the Sun assignment, you might also want to consider putting a comment in the Javadoc itself stating why you did it.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Andrew
[ February 18, 2006: Message edited by: Andrew Monkhouse ]

Tim Fernandez
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That clears things! Thank you so much Andrew!Elji, thanks also for the help!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic