• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Encoding

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I just realized something... I am used to create all possible files in UTF-8 encoding, so I have most internationalization covered. But should I turn in source codes and any other documents with this encoding?

The only clear information about this is that the choices.txt file must be ASCII and the data file format (I know that the last particular topic a bit confusing and subject of much discussion here).

If I specify that my files are in UTF-8 encoding in the choices.txt would it be enough? Has anyone heard of peaople having problem with this?

Complementing: If it is a problem or if someone else wants to avoid this problem at all, which encoding should be used?

Thanks
[ March 15, 2006: Message edited by: Eiji Seki ]

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eiji,

I'm sorry, but I am not sure what you are asking here.

Are you talking about having comments / variables / methods that use a language and character set other than English - for example: Portuguese? So you might use n�oRegistrado instead of notBooked for a variable name, and you are worried about the '�' character?

If so, my general advice would be to try and stick to English characters and words, since that is the language the assignments and the exam are in. So this is probably the language the assessors will use.

However the assignment does appear in at least one other language - Japanese. If your assignment came in a language other than English, and you want to use that language, then I would recommend that you confirm with Sun Education that this is OK (I would assume it will be since the assessor has to be able to read the instructions). Oh, and please satisfy my curiosity by letting me know what other languages it is available in.

Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
or do you mean you have localized your application and all string displayed are loaded from resource and those property files are in UTF-8?

Eiji Seki
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Err... I guess I did not explained it well.
I meant neighter of the mentioned possibilities.

I am using english for all comments and names and no special characters at all (sorry, Andrew, I will not be able to answer your question). But even doing so, I am saving all my files in UTF-8 format. Well, for this project I see no special reason for doing that, so I will keep it simple and use iso-8859-1 instead.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic