• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A question about SCJD study guide

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers!

A simple opinion about SCJD study guide by Monkhouse & Camerlengo.
I'm new to SCJD topics (Swing, Java networking, etc). Is it more helpful
to study that book WHILE or BEFORE working on the assignment?

Thanx

Best regards to all Ranchers!

Barry.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Going from the first edition, you will not understand what a lot of the talk is about unless you have your assignment printed out and sitting next to you while reading the book.

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting observation Jeroen - that is not something I would have expected.

I cant speak for the intent of the first edition, but when writing the second edition Max, Terry and I wanted to write a book that stood on it's own. That is, even if you had no intention of ever going for the SCJD you would still find the book flowed well, and you would learn many of the features of JDK 1.5 while we discussed an end-to-end project.

If anything, I would have expected that readers would gain most from going through the book prior to working on their assignment, then when they do the assignment they could refer to the relevant sections of the book.

I would love to hear more comments about whether others feel the book is standalone or whether it only makes sense while simultaneously looking at/working on the assignment.

Regards, Andrew

Barry Bassi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all!
Thank you very much for your advices.

I've decided to study the book before the assignment. I haven't any real world experience in J2SE development and this could be the right way.

Best regards,
Barry.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi there,

Just to share my experience, I downloaded the assignment but couldn't understand much, so I bought the book and read.

Now I am in the phrase of developing the assignment, I find it very useful from the knowledge that I have gained. Very often, I find myself refering to the relevant topics which I am on.

So I suggest that maybe you can read the whole book at least once and use it as a close reference when you are actually developing the assignment.

Cheers!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Jeffrey and would recommend reading the book first. I downloaded and started the assignment before i read the book (actually had a non-networked version working) but i ended up going back and heavily revising what i had done after reading the book. It does prompt you to think of aspects in the assignment you might not have considered (just like this forum!).

It really helps you to focus on what is relevant for this exam (which is the main aim) but i don't think i would have considered buying it just as a standalone J2SE book and i doubt i will use it again after finishing the project.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic