• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

[B&S] does update() need DuplicateKeyException

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm just working on the update() method. I found it just throw "RecordNotFoundException". see below,

// Modifies the fields of a record. The new value for field n
// appears in data[n].
public void update(int recNo, String [] data)
throws RecordNotFoundException;

But, if I update a record with the values same as to another record, it should throw DuplicateKeyException. Is it right? How shall I take care of this situation?

Another One, do I need to do the check of the field values to be filled in? like the "$" sign before the price number, or the positive integer for the number of workers.

thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Originally posted by Nova Chen:

But, if I update a record with the values same as to another record, it should throw DuplicateKeyException. Is it right? How shall I take care of this situation?

thanks!

I'll answer your questions indirectly.

For client of the interface declaration of exception means that declared exception might be thrown and he is forced to do something in catch clause. For implementation provider declaration of exception means that there is only a possibilty to thow exception under well defined circumstance. So, you have to ask yourself: do I know how to define the key fields? Is it a normal situation to have two records with the same field values? What was the intension behind it? Maybe extensibility?

Originally posted by Nova Chen:

Another One, do I need to do the check of the field values to be filled in? like the "$" sign before the price number, or the positive integer for the number of workers.

Probably your data access classes are generic and knows nothing about the meaning of field values. The number of workers isn't even a number, it is nothing more than string.
If so, the only way to conform the type of field is to valide/convert values in code that depends upon your data access code.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

That's not the record KEY, so doesn't warrant a DuplicateKeyException.
Why would you worry anyway, a lot of people hire a plumber, a carpenter, and maybe a bricklayer all at the same time to build or renovate their house...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:

That's not the record KEY, so doesn't warrant a DuplicateKeyException.
Why would you worry anyway, a lot of people hire a plumber, a carpenter, and maybe a bricklayer all at the same time to build or renovate their house...

This is true for the owner field (which happens to be the only field the application actually updates), but the update method as such is generic in its nature and could update other fields as well, including primay key fields. So it's true the method should throw DuplicateKeyException. But it doesn't, so I personally don't handle this situation at all.

Jimmy Chen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This is true for the owner field (which happens to be the only field the application actually updates), but the update method as such is generic in its nature and could update other fields as well, including primay key fields. So it's true the method should throw DuplicateKeyException. But it doesn't, so I personally don't handle this situation at all.

So, we just suppose that will not happen?

Then, which one is the primary key? record number(recNo)?

Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is no primary key defined Oliver, so in practice the exception can't be thrown as it would obviously only be thrown if a duplicate of something that doesn't exist were to be created which is of course clearly impossible.

Oliver Weikopf
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeroen,

Are you sure there isn't a PK?
I consider the combination of name and location to be the PK and my create method behaves accordingly.

Nova,
Record number can't be the PK, because it's selected automatically by the Data class. So a DuplicateRecordException would make no sense.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic