• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Packaging

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

All elements of your submission must be packaged in a single JAR file. The JAR file must have the following layout and contents in its root:

* The executable JAR containing the programs. This must be called runme.jar.

Hello,
The following instructions were in my project spec regarding packaging. Does this mean that I should have one jar file (runme.jar) wrapped up in an overall jar file (containing all artifacts)? Can I call the overall jar file anything I want. I'm worried that the instructor might try to run the overall jar file instead of digging the runme.jar one out first and running that.
Any help appreciated here.
Thanks,
Jon

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Originally posted by Jon Culloty:

Does this mean that I should have one jar file (runme.jar) wrapped up in an overall jar file (containing all artifacts)? Can I call the overall jar file anything I want.

Yes, the application jar should go inside a bigger overall jar file. The name of the overall jar file was not specified for me, so I am going to just make up a name for it.

I am assuming that the examiner knows to pull out the runme.jar from the overall jar and use that to see our application working.

Cheers, Jared.

Jonathan Culloty
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Jared, I'm going with one Jar file (runme.jar) inside another one (all artifacts).

When building runme.jar, should i include the .java files in the jar? Or only the .class files? Since the .java files are not needed at runtime and the .java files will be inside the overall jar anyways.

Cheers !

Jared Cope
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Originally posted by Jon Culloty:

When building runme.jar, should i include the .java files in the jar? Or only the .class files? Since the .java files are not needed at runtime and the .java files will be inside the overall jar anyways.

You are right, .java files are not needed at runtime. However, just make sure you provide the deliverables asked for. If your spec says to include them in the runme.jar then do it. Otherwise, you can safely omit them (but you probably need to include them somewhere else in the overall jar file).

Cheers, Jared.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to a previous edition of the SCJD book the name of the final file will be provided to you when you get the upload instructions.

Their achilles heel is the noogie! Give them noogies tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic