• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

case sensitive or not

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

must allow the user to search for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user

How do you interpret this? exact match means "Fred" matches
1) "Fred" and "fred" (case-insensitive).
2) "Fred" only (case-sensitive)

I think #1 makes more sense in real-world app but I am afraid of the word "must". Can I justify it in choices.txt?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Ng:

How do you interpret this? exact match means "Fred" matches
1) "Fred" and "fred" (case-insensitive).
2) "Fred" only (case-sensitive)

I think #1 makes more sense in real-world app but I am afraid of the word "must". Can I justify it in choices.txt?

I'm definately in the #1 camp with you mike. I think that a CSR would want to be able to just type in a few letters to do a quick search on behalf of someone who wishes to book a room. I just can't see how a case sensitive search is the least bit useful. I do also fear the work must however.

My search function is by default a case insensitve 'starts with' search. I provide the option to turn on both the case sensitive and exact match options if some user is crazy enough to actually want that .

This satisfies the requirements while being more user friendly, as it does allow the user to for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user. Just not by default. I would be very suprised if this resulted in a failure ( and very confident of an appeal too!)

Alot of people do seem to have the case sensitive / exact match approach though just to be on the safe side. But I'm with you in the #1 camp for sure.

regards,
Mark

Mike Ngo
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I provide the option to turn on both the case sensitive and exact match options if some user is crazy enough to actually want that

I think this did the trick

That would cover all bases.
[ November 28, 2006: Message edited by: Mike Ng ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The requirements doc talks about an exact match. That means case sensitive to me.

Mike Ngo
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I look at the low-level api findByCriteria() and from the description, it seems to be case-sensitive. So unless you extends the interface, case insensitive search can't be done.
I am going to stick with my current implementation (case-sensitive).

Mark Smyth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have it implemented my find by criteria as a case insensitive search. Either way I don't think it matters too much which way one decides to do it once it gets a mention in the choices.txt file. I've never heard of any failure issues on this particular point.

Mark.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic