• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Thank you ranchers! Passed ---> 384/400

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everybody,

I have just found out that I have passed the exam. Actually, my result has been available since February 14th, but I have been checking on the wrong website Accidentally I logged on the other one today and there was my result.

This report shows the total number of points awarded for each section. The maximum number of points is 400, to pass you need a score of 320.

Section summary:

I lost points in Server and General Considerations (probably because of the server issues). I guess I unnecessarily wanted to make my server fancy I allowed a user to stop the server without exiting the application and run it on a different port or with a different databse file. However this solution required to unbind and unexport all remote objects so clients that have alreay obtained thier stubs are not able to perform remote calls when server was stopped, but registry was not closed. To do this server had to keep somewhere references to all objects produced by the factory... and so on... and so on... it got a little bit complicated. Everything worked fine and I tried to keep it as simple as possible, but I think the grader considered it as adding unecessary complexity to the application.

I added solution that allowed to lock entire database and lock entire lock manager so the server can be safely stopped. When entire lock manager is locked, clients that are in the middle of the booking can finish their actions to avoid data corruption, but no further locks are granted. When database is locked, operation on the database that has been started can be finished to avoid data corruption, but no further access is granted. Then database can be safely closed.

As for MVC and my GUI, I didn't use Observer-Observale pattern. My Model does not notify the View about changes, Controller is responsible for everything. I even took it to a little extreme, that is all my Controller's methods are private, I was a little bit concerned about this, but I did what I thought was right and justified this solution. I got max points for GUI, so now I know that was a good choice. In short, nobody knows about the Controller. In fact View does not know about Controller and Model, and Model does not know about Controller and View. Controller is the only thing that knows about both about View and Model as it controls everything. There should be some of my posts on this topic if you are interested.

That's what comes to my mind now about my design. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks everybody and good luck to those who are going to take the exam!
[ February 25, 2007: Message edited by: Aleksander Zielinski ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ,

Congrats

bye for now
sat

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, Aleksander!

You started SCJD at the beginning of October 2006, right? Approximately, how much effort (in hours) did you take for the assignment?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well done Aleksander

What's next?

Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey alex,

Regarding the gui, did you just provide search fields for "name" and "location"? or you let the user search from all fields ?

Cheers and congrats!

Hopefully i'd be like you in 2 months time!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulation's..well done..

can you please give more details about GUI (how many search fields) and in general design? I have two field name and location, menu, jtable for data display. Have you done anything fancy with gui??

Thanks
[ February 25, 2007: Message edited by: Ken Boyd ]

Aleksander Zielinski
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Thanks guys!

Nicholas, I've got SCWCD, so probably next one will be SCBCD and then SCEA.

Barry, yes I started at the begining of October. To be completely honest it's hard for me to estimate the number of hours. It realy varied on different days, sometimes it was many hours and sometimes I didn't work on the project at all. I can say that my application was almost ready at the begining of December. Then I just had to create help, write choices.txt and documentation for my controller. I uploaded in the middle of January, I did almost nothing during this time, wanted to write my choices.txt, but was just f****ng around I took the essay exam on January 26th and got the result on February 14th. I'm sorry but I can't give you better answer, I wouldn't want to lie about number of hours.

As for GUI guys, I did nothing really fancy. It would be the best to show you how it looks like. Is it ok to show a picture? Are we allowed to paste one here?

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Barry, yes I started at the begining of October. To be completely honest it's hard for me to estimate the number of hours. It realy varied on different days, sometimes it was many hours and sometimes I didn't work on the project at all. I can say that my application was almost ready at the begining of December. Then I just had to create help, write choices.txt and documentation for my controller. I uploaded in the middle of January, I did almost nothing during this time, wanted to write my choices.txt, but was just f****ng around I took the essay exam on January 26th and got the result on February 14th. I'm sorry but I can't give you better answer, I wouldn't want to lie about number of hours.

No problem, I asked because it is a "Frequently Asked Question"

Ken Boyd
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think it is okay to post GUI image. I am sure someone in past post the image of his GUI.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just on the Target...
but still on the Top of Every on...

nw what next?

It sure was nice of your sister to lend us her car. Let's show our appreciation by sharing this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic