• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

B&S: Starting again

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all
I downloaded my assignment September 2004 and have almost finished it but i get scared submitting the damn thing. I am presently in the UK doing an Msc so i havent had anytime to do it. Well i am going back to what i started, the flare of the technology is hard burning and i would required all you lovely guyz to help out as i rekindle my quest to obtain my SCJD. I look forward to communicating soon with you all. I am actually refactoring the code and re-thinking the issues with much details so it would take probably a month to make it fully ready. I just bought Andrew's book(Is he still here by the way?) and i intend to use it thoroughly as a good guide. Thanks all, and it is good to be back.

Saheed.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Saheed,

Welcome.
In my assignment there is the requirement that my code bases on a Java 2
version that is a production one and currently used and not an old one.

Perhaps you have similar requirement. Please check, if you use the right version.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Saheed,
I'd say since you've been away from your assignment a long while, I'd say you should start all over again - It's very much worth the effort, you would have a clean design and it will be fresh in your head for the essay exam (2004 is a long time.)
If however you are not interested in starting all over again and you have tests (say JUnit tests) written for your classes, you can go ahead and refactor then test them. Andrew's book is a good one, so you're good to go.
All the best.

Saheed Adepoju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bod Toki:
Hello Saheed,
I'd say since you've been away from your assignment a long while, I'd say you should start all over again - It's very much worth the effort, you would have a clean design and it will be fresh in your head for the essay exam (2004 is a long time.)
If however you are not interested in starting all over again and you have tests (say JUnit tests) written for your classes, you can go ahead and refactor then test them. Andrew's book is a good one, so you're good to go.
All the best.

Hi Bod
Thanks for your advice. I actually do intend to restart all over again after giving it much thought. It would be fun all over again, i went through Andrew's book and i felt the need to redesign and recode cause i feel it would be a cleaner design this time and would be more confident to submit this time. I havent got any JUnit test cases so i will just restart from start. I am not in much of a hurry. Thanks again. Have a nice day.

Saheed Adepoju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Hummel Lucy:
Hi Saheed,

Welcome.
In my assignment there is the requirement that my code bases on a Java 2
version that is a production one and currently used and not an old one.

Perhaps you have similar requirement. Please check, if you use the right version.

Hi
Sorry about the lateness of this post. Yeah i have such a requirement, but i guess as long as the version one is using is not 18months old since its release then i guess we are in the clear. Please anyone correct me if i am wrong. And thanks i will check if it is a production version and not an old one.
[ May 23, 2007: Message edited by: Saheed Adepoju ]

He got surgery to replace his foot with a pig. He said it was because of this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic