• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

gui choices

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I'm doubting a bit about my GUI main window design.

I could go for the "natural reading order" design (going from left top to right bottom), meaning I have the search edits and search bottom on top, then a big panel with the table, and then at the bottom right the book button.

But this is not a "logical grouping of components", and it feels more natural to group all buttons / edits together on the bottom pane (search items left, book button right) and have the table fill the whole top/center area above it.

Any thoughts?

Rinke

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

I feel it is more comfortable for users to have all edit and buttons in one area.. so as you mentioned table at the top and edit and buttons at the bottom.
[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Mary John ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
From user's point of view, having search button on right hand side/under input box for search text will be most convenient.
Book button can either be below search results or on right side again (that way it can also be grouped with search button if it is positioned on right hand side).
Not sure about what edit button does, but my guess is it will go with either search (for editing search criteria) or book (to edit book preferances), whichever suits.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Not sure it's the best approach as I'm no ergonomics expert, however I tried to model my layout to follow the booking process.

1. Search
2. Select
3. Book

Therefore I had the search critera panel at the top, followed by the table and then the book button at the bottom, this seemed logical to me as in my mind searching a booking were two seperate tasks.

Regards,
Jason
[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jason Moors ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic