• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

B&S 2.3.1, do I ned to care about "create" method?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all!

In the interface, i.e. DBMain, that was provided to me, 7 methods are declared (read, update, delete, find, create, lock, unlock) . However the description of assignment states that it is required for the system to "...search the data for all records..." and "...book a selected record..."

So, do I really need to implement all the 7 methods? I understand that "find", "update", "lock", "unlock" and MAYBE "read" are needed. But I don�t see why I can�t leave the bodies of the "delete" and "create" methods empty. I mean, the assignment does not state that the system should perform "delete" and/or "create", right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am curious about this one also. At this point I have implemented those two methods, but they are not used anywhere in the GUI. However, I get the feeling the graders are using some kind of automated process to test the application and this process might call the create and delete methods in order to test concurrency issues.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I get the feeling the graders are using some kind of automated process to test the application

I have the same feeling... also, what if other applications are somehow going to use your implementation of the Data class, and they provide these functionalities?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I implemented all the method in the interface and provide 2 functionalities in my method. I also create the custom protocol (socket) for all the functionalities.

Jeffry Kristianto Yanuar
Java Instructor
SCJP 5.0
SCJA
SCJD (Working on UrlyBird 1.3.2) --> testing and documenting the assignment

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

you need to implement all methods. The assignment requires you to implement the provided interface and then create a GUI on top of it.
Perhaps your application will not use some of the methods, however the assignment still ask you to create all the methods.

I don't recall anyone passing the certification without implementing all methods.

Regards,
Alex

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic