• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Exam SCJP2

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hello,everybody in the ranch.
I'm going to take the exam.But I still have some questions about the exam:
1)There are two versions of the exam jdk1.1 and java2,and correspondingly there are two versions of objectives provided by SUN.I'll take the SCJP2(java2).My question is that will the questions only based on the jdk1.1 objective,such as questions about Graphics class(drawString(),drawLine(),drawRect()),Component class(setVisible(),setEnabled()) ,occur in the exam SCJP2.
2)According to the Objectives version java2, we have to remember some usage of some class from the jdk document, for example Math,InputStreamReader and so on. Besides that, what class should I get familiar with to prepare for the SCJP2.
3)there are 59 quetions ,passing score is 61% ,we have 90minutes . Are these right?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am not sure if this will help any or if it immediately answers your question but I just took the exam and passed (barely). The questions that I found the most difficult were about Inner Classes. I know that the questions are generated from a pool but it seemed that there were quite a few questions and examples with Inner Classes. You have to know what variables are available to an Inner Class and how it can be instantiated (consider a static inner class in a non-static class for example).
Also, understand how the layout managers work and what are the characteristics of each and how they affect components created within them.
As for question 3) - yes 59 questions in 90 minutes - and I went to the last second rushing to finish. It seemed like plenty of time when I started.....
Hope this helps. Study hard.
Good luck!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Tom,
Studying the java.util package is important
Contsructors for all the IO streams and readers and writers are a must. some questions were based entirely on this. be through with io package, util and some graphics ideas with awt package
All are must
Time will be sufficient
All the best
Sandeep

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just to clarify what Tom said,
61% is the pass score right!

Brian, Cavanagh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tony, I have the exam tomorrow,
and after doing Marcus's exam no.3, I feel like I may have a close call like you. What scores were you getting in the mocks before you sat the real thing.
Cheers,
Brian

tony hutcheson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brian,
My mock exams were in the 80's. I kept making obvious mistakes in the mocks so I took more time on each question on the SJCP and then started to run out. Take your time but hurry up, best of luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brian,
I wrote mine today and made the mistake of spending too much time on some of the questions...had 30 minutes left with 14 questions so I rushed them!
The mocks make you a bit paranoid about the wording...I was reading everything two or three times. In fact, there was little ambiguity in the real exam questions and I saw nothing that was a deliberate trick like putting a ';' at the end of an 'if' statement. You do have to pay attention when you're reading but if you get one that isn't clear; mark it and go on to the next. When you get to the end there's a list of all the questions and the marked one's are highlighted ... it's very easy to go back to them.
Good luck!

------------------
Jane
The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.
-- Dorothy Parker

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic