• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Show me the way!!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Friends,
Hi !!
I'm from Delhi,India, currently a student. I want to clear the SCJP Exam but don't have any idea how should I start preparing, which books I should read, what is the syllabus, what time I should devote per day, which sites I should visit and what is the valuation of the exam, etc. Please guide me and if possible, mail me at sujeetsaha@yahoo.co.uk.

------------------
- Sujeet Saha.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Sujeet!
I passed the SCJP exam last week, and I would be happy to share my experience with you:
1. Most importantly is to find yourself a really good book which helps you focus on the right areas. If you are new to Java you first need a book to give you a thourough understanding of the fundamentals. My favourite in this area is Core Java 2, Volume 1 - Fundamentals, isbn: 0130894680. If you feel you already know the basics of Java, you should get a book which is specialized on the SCJP exam. The book I used for this purpose was The Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide, isbn: 0782128254 (Great book). This book also includes some mock exams etc which will help you prepare for the real exam.
2. I spent loads of time in this forum and also in the one provided by Marcus Green (http://www.jchq.net). Of course the main idea for me was to find some help, but as time went by I started spending more and more time reading about other peoples problems and while doing this I learnt loads of things I would otherwise miss out on. By the way, I still spend loads of time here!
3. You have to be very devoted to your studies while preparing for the exam, it is tough from time to time, but when you pass the exam you will definetly feel it was worth it! The final 4 weeks, I spent 6-10 hours studying each day.
4. For information on the objectives set up by Sun, click here: http://suned.sun.com/USA/certification/progobj.html#Java2.
5. For more general information of the exam, click here: http://www.jchq.net/faq/jcertfaq.htm
6. Don't forget you also need sleeping and food etc. to keep you going!
Good Luck and May the force be with you!
Regards
------------------
Dominic Steng�rd
Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
------------------

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SUJEET..
Click at the "FAQ" at the top of this page..
jaya murugan

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic