• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Deployment path on a client (ex. C:\MyAppDir)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Friends,

Is it possible to specify local path (ex. C:\MyAppDir) on a client into which my application is to be downloaded/deployed by the Java Web Start?
If yes, how do I achive that? Does it have something to do with turning off the �sandbox� and/or JAR signing?

Thank you in advance!
Seid

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I would say not easily, and not without lots of fiddling.

We maintain a webstart application in our organisation that gets deployed to everyone's desktop. Our app depends on some data within files. We package these files in the jar that gets downloaded from webstart and when the application starts up, some of the initialisation code that we wrote copies those files to a local directory on C:\ (overwriting previous copies).

You might be able to get the code to copy itself (that is, the .jar file) to a local directory on startup ...

The other way to do it is to specify the java webstart cache location through the webstart application manager (file-preferences-advanced). But this means that you need to do it for all your users (for standardisation).

Cheers, Jared.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic