• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is it possible to supply resources after a Web Start installation?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I want to install my application, and many empty dictionary directories using Web Start.
After the installation, the required directory structure will be ready (but empty).
Then, if I copy the required dictionary files into the related directories, is it possible to let my application to read those new resources?
Ahmet Aksoy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I think I do something similar with our application. The application supports spell checking in multiple languages.

The webstart is responsible for downloading the spelling.jar files that contain the dictionary words files (as specified in the .jnlp file), but the application is responsible for making sure that the directory structure exists and the files get copied into that directory from the downloaded .jar file. I don't believe it is possible for webstart to do this part for you. I do all this as part of application initialization before the application is presented to the user.

Of course your application can read those files as long as the files exist in the expected place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jared.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic