• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SUggest me the tutorials to start 3D games

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am Ramu. I want to start developing 3D games for mobiles.

Please suggest me how to start and where can i find required software and tutorials.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Ramu,

game development is a big thing, and 3D even more so. I wish I could just tell you "buy this book, and this software, and you can make 3D games!" but alas, it's not that simple. The good news is game development is such a diverse world it can be easy to decide where you want to go, and then start doing it! For example, I've gone from essentially zero knowledge in programming to a semi-competent networking programmer for a group Java project in about six months, mostly with Google searches to aid me.

If you want to program in Java (which I'd recommend, it's easy to learn & powerful to use!) I'd HIGHLY recommend the Head-First Java book, it's what got me started and it's very easy & fun reading.

As for 3D game-development, this Google search can get you started, and just browse from there. A few hours later, you'll probably have a better understanding of the field.

Hope this helps,
Joseph

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I very much like this book on developing games:

Killer Game Development

However, this is gaming using the 3D APIs. I'm not sure how 3D you can get on mobile devices? In fact, I think even 2D is pretty lacking on a mobile device.

Good luck!

-Cameron McKenzie

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you go to Borders they have a whole section on game development books I have read a couple and they were pretty help full, I wish you the best of luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Cameron,
That is a good book, although I didnt like the style of the writting it has some great topics, I have yet (dispite owning the book for a year) to finish reading it or to have written a game....yet (be warned )

The one piece of advice I can give, is start small. Get the basics. I started to write a poker game, I was more interested in trying to use SVG to paint the cards then the atcual poker game...I am still working on it and havent even got the poker "engine" working, and not got anywhere near SVG.

If you want to do networked games check out the Sun Game Server/Project DarkStar, that looks very interesting to me (and i feel it has potential outside of games).

Gavin

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic