• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Memory Measurement Discrepancy

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Why is it that the memory measurement one gets from verbose garbage collection is different from measurements for the jvm process?
We used third-party packages and UNIX system commands to measure memory for the jvm process, and they do correlate at all with the memory reported by the garbage collector.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Hawk:
Why is it that the memory measurement one gets from verbose garbage collection is different from measurements for the jvm process?

I would simply expect the JVM to need more memory than just the memory for the java object heap. There has to be memory for the stack, memory for the bytecode, memory for the native code, for the hotspot engine etc. All this memory has nothing to do with gc.

Mike Hawk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I adequately stated the problem. We are running AIX 4.3.3. We run svmon to record the process's memory usage as seen by the operating system. When we compare the svmon output to the output from gc, there appears to be no correlation: Sometimes the gc reports the heap size is bigger than what the OS thinks the process sometimes smaller.
But we've just eyeballed the tabular reports. I think my next trick will be to run a statistical correlation of the svmon output with the gc output to see if there is any relationship.
Thank again,

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic