• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Target Platform

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry if I'm offtopic, but anyway, I'd like to ask for help:

Would you be so kind and tell me what is the maximum RE version to run on Pentium 90, 16 RAM, Win95 or similar. I must decide which platforms to use, and there are three candidates: JavaSE, Win32 (API + MFC), or .NET. Requirements above are minimal, but the majority of customers uses just these machines? And I don't know what to do.... Help me please.

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll tell you what it won't run: The latest JDK:

A Pentium 166MHz or faster processor with at least 32 megabytes of physical RAM is required to run graphically based applications. At least 48 megabytes of RAM is recommended for applets running within a browser using the Java Plug-in. Running with less memory may cause disk swapping which has a severe effect on performance. Very large programs may require more RAM for adequate performance.

Java 2 SDK 1.4.2 Installation Notes for Microsoft Windows
The only other system requirements documentation I can find is for the Java Plug-In 1.1.3 (should run applets created with JDK 1.1.8):

The minimum system requirements for the Java Plug-in on Win32 are as follows:
- Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0
- Pentium 90 MHz or faster processor
- 10 MB free hard disk space (recommended 20 MB)
- 24 MB system RAM

Which doesn't look like a good match for your platform either.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds like a job for the J2ME package to me, it is quite compact. Or maybe you could remove lots of bulky stuff from J2SE.

A full .NET installation certainly requires a LOT more power than your systems can provide.

What all does this system have to do? Is it heavy on graphics? How much disk space?
Bill

Michael Kazekin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all, I would like to thank you, Mr. Ess and you, Mr. Brogden for replying. In my opinion, one of the best solution is to design system as OS-dependent frontend (for the majority of customers it would be Win32 API-based, and for others having fast PCs - .NET-based, all written in C++) and OS-independent backend (C++), containing much of business logic. In fact it would be looking as two virtual OSs. Suppose, patterns bridge and proxy are always welcomed :-). But my heart belongs to Java yet, and I can do nothing with it. In addition, taking the above-mentioned choice, I am to spend a month studying .NET platform. Of course, I'd prefer Java!

Michael Kazekin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question, Mr. Brogden. It MAY be quite heavy on graphic, but it is the one intended for representing "static" presentations. No graphics editor, or something like this. The upper estimate of required disk space is about 30M.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Go for a Delphi or C++ frontend with a Java backend talking over IP sockets.

You might try using SOAP but it may be more than your clients can handle.

Michael Kazekin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you, Mr.Wenting for reply!

Would you be so kind and decipher what you have meant by saying "...Java backend talking over IP sockets" and "...using SOAP"

For me OS "virtuality", mentioned in previous reply, doesn't relate only to
network connections. It is also a question of file, memory, threads&process management etc.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic