• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

profiling end to end web application

blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I need to profile serving of pages from a JSP web application, including all the time all the way through to the Oracle back end. My current plan is to run Tomcat under JProfiler. Has anyone done this before, and any thoughts on whether this is the best way to do it and what pitfalls I might have to look out for?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JAMon comes with a servlet filter that tracks various statistics for every jsp, servlet, gif, jpg etc including hits, avg time, max time, min time, max concurrency and more. JAmon is simple to use and using the servlet filter should only require minimal effort to incorporate. It is fast enough to monitor in production systems, and is in your war, so no special installation is required. The demo available at http://www.fdsapi.com uses the jamon servlet filter. It aslo monitors all jdbc calls and more.

Warren Dew
blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just to clarify, I need to profile what is happening within a single hit, not the pattern of hits in the course of general usage.

Warren Dew
blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In case anyone has a similar problem and looks this up in the future, I ended up setting up a Tomcat installation and having JProfiler run it and profile it. JProfiler had nice guided dialog to set up such an arrangement once I had the web site running.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic