• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what are factors that should be concentrated?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi friends,
We are going to develop an application whose main requirement is it should support 1400 users at a time. We are using struts 1.2. and weblogic 10 for deployment.
Please tell me what are the things we should concentrate upon while developing the application.
One more thing the pages are too much loaded with 200-300 parameters getting loaded on the page.so i think it will affect the performance. What kind of problems do you think we will face in future?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Vijay,
The first thing is not to optimize prematurely. If you don't know something is a problem, it's too early to tune it.

That said, big things like using connection pooling should be considered up front. Making it easy to add caching (as needed) later is also good.

vijay jamadade
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Jeanne,
What i was meaning is just like you said that connection pooling should be considered so that i can code my application keeping in mind that i need to add connection pooling so i will do the coding accordingly. What should be the other factors i need to consider while developing the application to make it handle 1200-1500 user connections.

You are getting me but i need some more clarifications so that we can advance accordingly

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm. More things. Caching is another global thing. While you may not know what to cache at first, it should be made easy to add it once you find out. Other factors are dependent on your architecture. For example if your database is on a remote server, there are extra things to consider like # roundtrips.

"main requirement is it should support 1400 users at a time" - Try to see if you can get a response time requirement. For example, "the app must support 1400 concurrent users while maintaining a 7 second response time for 500 hits per second." The number of logged in users doesn't tend to be an issue (unless you are short on memory.) The response time is the thing that you are going to likely need to optimize for. Without knowing this, how will you know if the app is fast enough.

"200-300 parameters getting loaded on the page" - This jumps out at me. What do you mean by a parameter? 200-300 items in a list? 200-300 lists? 200-300 rows in a table? I think there might be an issue around this, but I'm not sure what it means. Can you elaborate a bit more.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeanne is right that "1400 users at a time" is not a specific requirement.

1400 users may be logged in but do very little with your application. If there are 1400 users which use your application whole day there is a huge difference if they perform 10 operations within a minute or one operation every 15 minutes. In the first case you get 1400*10/60=233 operations per second and in the second case you get 1400*1/15/60=1.5 operations per second.

Try forecasting these numbers first.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic