• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

difference between JSR168 & Struts portlet

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I have recently started working on a project using portal & portlets.
What I would like to know what is the difference between a JSR-168 portlet & struts portlet. How does their base functionality differ. Which one to use in what situations. I have also heard about the term SpringPortlet.

Can someone throw some light on this topic as to what are the different types of portlets available from the Java portlet/portal point of view.

Regards

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's a great demand for information on creating Struts and JSF portlets. I put together a few tutorials on how to build them. You can find the tutorials here:

Building Struts and Java Server Faces (JSF) JSR168 Portlets

Basically, the JSR168 API is very similar to the Servlet and JSP API, providing facilities for handling a request and response from a client, and managing data with a PortletSession. However, the JSR168 API doesn't provide any built in facilities for form handilng, error feedback, memento patterning, or even multi-page, multi-state application management (nor does the Servlet and JSP API). For handingl these things, frameworks like Struts and JSF have emerged.

Basically, a JSF or Struts portlet simply leverages the Struts or JSF framework, allowing a developer to create a Struts or JSF application, with all of the benefits of JSF or Struts, but fundamentally, delpoy that application as a portlet.

Hope that helps!

-Cameron McKenzie

manish ahuja
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Cameron

That explanation was indeed helpful.

In our post you mentioned about multi-page, multi-state application management.

I would want to know what these features mean & how frameworks like Struts address the same.
If someone can post some pointers it would be of great help.

Regards

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Struts and JSF applications use config files that help control or maintain possible navigation states. Legal forwards and page transitions are lightly sprinkled in these files.

They also provide mechanisms for validating data, and often custom tags for redering content and error messages back to the user, so you don't have to figure out how to do that on your own.

It's all good stuff, but stuff the JSR168 API doesn't do on its own.

-Cameron McKenzie

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Cameron,

Can you elaborate more on difference between JSR168 and JSF portlet. Also can you explain how JSF framework handles memento patterning.

Thanks

Greenhorn
IntelliJ IDE Netbeans IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Cameron Wallace McKenzie wrote:There's a great demand for information on creating Struts and JSF portlets. I put together a few tutorials on how to build them. You can find the tutorials here:

Building Struts and Java Server Faces (JSF) JSR168 Portlets

Basically, the JSR168 API is very similar to the Servlet and JSP API, providing facilities for handling a request and response from a client, and managing data with a PortletSession. However, the JSR168 API doesn't provide any built in facilities for form handilng, error feedback, memento patterning, or even multi-page, multi-state application management (nor does the Servlet and JSP API). For handingl these things, frameworks like Struts and JSF have emerged.

Basically, a JSF or Struts portlet simply leverages the Struts or JSF framework, allowing a developer to create a Struts or JSF application, with all of the benefits of JSF or Struts, but fundamentally, delpoy that application as a portlet.

Hope that helps!

-Cameron McKenzie

Hi Cameron,

Read your book portlet book and it was very useful.

Want to buy JSF made easy. On Amazon its out of stock.

Please share your views on the same.

Thanks

It is an experimental device that will make my mind that most powerful force on earth! More powerful than this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic