• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Portal/Portlets book

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good introductory book on Portals/Portlets. The only one I can find reviewed on JavaRanch is 'Building Portals with the Java Portlet API'. As that is 3 years old, is it still the best one?

Thanks,

John
[ September 03, 2007: Message edited by: John Simpson ]

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well, I'd humbly recommend the one that I wrote.

JSR 168 Portlet Programming

I think Amazon has a pretty heavy discount on the book right now, although that can always change.

The link above takes you to the latest release on amazon. The older release has a number of reviews if you want to see what people think of it. The new edition simply adds some important topics that are hot today, such as creating a Struts portlet, a JSF portelt, using AJAX in a JSR168 portlet, and even how do do a basic installation and deployment of a portlet to JetSpeed 2.1 and the Pluto portlet container.

I also provide a bunch of free, multimedia tutorials on doing portlet development, just check out my signature links. The tutorials use IBM's Rational Application Developer (IRAD), but the portlets are all JSR168 compliant, and it's the concepts that are important, not the development tool.

Good luck on your portal quest!

-Cameron McKenzie
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic