• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I/O - - what to study?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I started I/O topic this week, I am not very comfortable with all I/O classes. How should I prepare? This may seem absurd, but this is my case.
Thanks,
Vanitha

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Chapter 18 in Khalid's book is a good read, I had to read it 3 times, but all the different streams take a while to get a feel for. Also, Take jtips.net test2. Finally, you have to write practice programs.
For instance, I wrote an app that had all of the methods that return boolean and string from the file class as menu items(canWrite, canRead, etc..) .When an item is clicked it returns the value referenced by the file object to a textArea.
-PP

Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply Peter, I am also following Khalid's book. I wrote some programs for Byte Streams and I thought I can finish the chapter completly. When I started Readers and writers there are so many classes and subclasses, I am confused now. Trying memorize, (i hate this part) everything, just wondering how is it going with everyone?
Vanitha.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Vanitha,
To get a hang of the IO classes, follow the Sun Java Tutorial.It has an excellent chart which you could refer and kind of memorize.
If you ask me, you donot need to memorize those classes.Just write small program for each of the classes and see how comfortable you can be!
-- Sandeep
SCJP2,OCSD (Oracle JDeveloper),OCED (Oracle Internet Platform)
[This message has been edited by Desai Sandeep (edited July 27, 2001).]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic