• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using IIOP for creating file on a remote server

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!
From an EJB in WebSphere on server S1 I need to create a XML string and save this string as a file on another server S2. On S2, a COM component in Microsoft Transaction Server will use it. I'm not allowed to use FTP for this operation due to security restrictions. Instead I plan to use IIOP (an authorized protocol). Unfortunately I'm a rookie when it comes to IIOP, so that's why I have a few questions:
1) What is needed on server S2 to get the conversation working. Some kind of "IIOP server"?
2) Security question: Does this conversation require the client (S1) to authenticate itself to S2?
3) How do I actually create the file? In the application that handles the conversation on S2? Can this be a "normal" Java application?
4) Are there any limitations regarding how big these XML-strings can be in a single operation?
//Johan

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why don't you just use Web Services and send this over HTTP? That sounds much easier -- the only way to do what you're suggesting is to install WebSphere on BOTH servers, which is I'm sure not what you want.
Kyle

Johan Apelgren
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unfortunately HTTP is out of the question due to security restrictions since the S1 and S2 remains on two different networks, one more restricted than the other.
//Johan

Kyle Brown
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're telling me that HTTP and FTP won't work but IIOP will? What's the reason for an odd firewall setup like that?
There's no way that I can think of (short of using a commercial CORBA ORB, or another WebSphere instance) to allow the "server" on the machine with the COM object receive an unsolicited message over IIOP. As I said earlier you could do this with 2 WebSphere instances, but that's probably overkill that a negotiation with your security team could probably get around....
Kyle

Johan Apelgren
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Beats me, but that's the response I get. Probably HTTP and FTP are regarded as more common "internet-hacker" protocols than IIOP.
Anyway, as it has turned out, the solution will be to move the servers to the same network. I will now be able to use a simple FileOutputStream object instead...
//Johan

We find this kind of rampant individuality very disturbing. But not this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic