• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

RMI - Http Tunnelling Does it Work?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been learning/Ageing with RMI over the last few weeks. I can get my distributed application running over a lan without a problem. My problem is when it comes to placing the server (and registry) behind a firewall. I've tried severly tutorials on HTTP Tunnelling with RMI and all have confused and failed. I'm Running Apache 2 integrated with Tomcat4.1 running on windows 2000, the RMI registry is also running on this machine and the RMI Server (I think i have also rerouted the java-rmi.cgi script requests on to the Tomcat servlethandler correctly).
All the documentation i've read say this is possible but so far I've had no joy whatsoever. Can any body please confirm that they have got this working in a similar sort of enviroment and maybe point me at a good reference site. Slowly going mad.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When you want to access a RMI server from outside the fire wall, instruct the Rmi server to use dns name instead of ip address. This can be done by setting this property to your server name java.rmi.server.hostname=""
This faq will probably give more explaination
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/rmi/faq.html#firewall
[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Vinod John ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic