• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Welcome Chris Richardson

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This week, we're delighted to have Chris Richardson helping to answer questions about his new book POJO's In Action

The promotion starts Tuesday, January 24th 2006 and will end on Friday January 27th 2006.

We'll be selecting four random posters in this forum to win a free copy of his book provided by the publisher, Manning.

Posts in this welcome thread are not eligable for the drawing.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have heard about POJO for quite some time. To my understanding, POJO makes the J2EE application development easier.

What is POJO? It is useful in what ways? How does it make J2EE developers work easier?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
See here https://coderanch.com/t/216025/ORM/java/Author-Chris-Richardson

Let me know if this does not answer your questions.

Chris

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Chris,

Is it me or is the question "What is POJO?" littered throughout this forum? Ironically, I'm betting most people who are asking the question have written at least one POJO. If they really wanted to know, Google has plenty of basic answers either way.

Am the only one that thinks maybe there should be a book give-away guideline that says "Please don't take the title of the book and form a simple question such as 'What is a _____'"?

Ah, the word 'free' brings out the best in us all.

Chris Richardson
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ranch Hand
Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Where is the names of winners?

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Scott Selikoff:

Am (I) the only one that thinks maybe there should be a book give-away guideline that says "Please don't take the title of the book and form a simple question such as 'What is a _____'"?

Something we could do for each book promotion is provide a FAQ page for the book itself. Then we could simply cull out the questions that are already in the FAQ. Or, if we remain less aggressive, we could simply point every one to the FAQ and it wouldn't like we were wasting the author's time with questions of this order.

With that in mind, I have some of my own bones to pick with the origination of POJO as a term. Maybe I'm overly dating myself here, but for me the term "really" comes from the term POTS, short for Plain Old Telephone System. This was a helpful term to distinguish dialup from other things as access to the internet spread and evolved.

When I first agreed to review the book, that's immediately where my mind went. I thought the book would be a general pitch for getting away from frameworks on a more general level, not just the whole persistence modelling issues with EJB 2 and prior.

The book title to me suggests a great deal more than it covers, so I'm not surprised to see a little confusion over it.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic