• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJB 3.0

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Before JEE 5, people said EJB is too complicated, a lot of times, we can achieve thing using Servlet/JSP (or any java web framework) + hibernate (for database stuff).

But with Hibernate 3.2 and EJB 3.0,is it true that the line between lightweight architecture (java web framework + hibernate) and EJB is blurred.

Is that true?

And with EJB 3.0, does that mean JDO has becomes obsolete?

Thank you.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Part of the EJB 3 spec is a sub-spec known as the Java Persistence Architecture or JPA. There's been talk of actually breaking JPA out of the EJB3 JSR, since it virtually erases the high-level differences between EJB, JDO and Hibernate.

No, JDO doesn't go extinct QUITE yet. BEA (formerly Solarmetric) Kodo V4 supports JPA. In fact, a group of BEA Kodo employees are at the core of the Jakarta OpenJPA project.

Similarly, Hibernate 3 is now actively supporting JPA. In fact, I used the OpenJPA reverse mapping tool to create Hibernate mappings and have been prototyping a webapp using Spring's new JPA support to handle the grunt work.

Once I've got the app fully functional, I'll probably switch it from Tomcat+Hibernate to JBoss+EJB3 just to say I could.

We must storm this mad man's lab and destroy his villanous bomb! Are you with me tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic