• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Axis wsdl2java overwriting class files

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm just beginning to work through web services, and I'm having a difficult time. I created a test business object (com.greenbuildingpages.services.DistanceCalculator) and ran java2wsdl against it:

java org.apache.axis.wsdl.Java2WSDL -o wp.wsdl -l"http://localhost:8080/axis/services/distance" -n "urn:Example" -p"com.greenbuildingpages.services" "urn:Example" com.greenbuildingpages.services.DistanceCalculator

This created the wdsl file:

I then ran wsdl2java against this generated wsdl document:

java org.apache.axis.wsdl.WSDL2Java -o ./main/src/java -d Session -s -S true -Nurn:Example com.greenbuildingpages.services wp.wsdl

When this completed, I had the additional artifacts that I was expecting (DistanceCalculatorService,java, DistanceCalculatorServiceLocator.java, etc.). But my original DistanceCalculator.java file had been modified (into an interface).

I'm sure I likely have the command line arguments mixed up. Can somebody help me or point me towards their favorite Axis tutorial that might help me through this?

Thanks!

Todd Farmer

[ July 06, 2005: Message edited by: Todd Farmer ]

[ July 06, 2005: Message edited by: Todd Farmer ]
[ July 08, 2005: Message edited by: Todd Farmer ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm no expert, but sounds like you're doing it right - what you want to do is specify a different output directory for the generated files. I'm not sure of the command line option (-o, probably, which you already use), but the wsdl2java Ant task can be used like this:

In general, with Web services (regardless of the Java toolkit used) I find it necessary to:

• Keep the client and server bindings in separate directories (or in separate JARs).
  • Never put the two directories/JARs on the same classpath, when compiling or running the client or server application. Only put the server JAR/dir on the server classpath, etc. This prevents the inevitable namespace clashes (if the same packages are used).
  • Have neither on the classpath when regenerating the binding files themselves (e.g., when running wsdl2java). On some platforms (e.g., Weblogic) having one on the classpath produces *baffling* errors.

• I also find it simplifies things if you generate the client bindings into a different package than the server ones. E.g., org.jacksonwest.travel.client.binding for the client, and org.jacksonwest.travel.server.binding for ther server.

-Tim

[edit: it might be nice to edit your post and shorten that massive line that makes this thread so hard to read...]
    [ July 06, 2005: Message edited by: Tim West ]

Todd Farmer
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks for the help and for the suggestions!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic