• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

HowTo Desktop apps & web service

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I want to build a very simple reporting tool with no user gui. It's supposed to check if some production servers are running. Reporting mechanism will be Java Mail Api. I want it to be in first place a standalone application.

But nevertheless I want a simple web servic interface to be able to let other applications connect it. The question is:

Do I need a servlet container like tomcat? Or is there another option to have it propagte a web service? I want to keep it very slim.

cheers,
Pete
[ June 11, 2006: Message edited by: Pete Neu ]

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't need Tomcat, but using it will make things simpler, because you you do need a server that listens to HTTP and makes sense of WS requests. Using Tomcat would enable you to use (e.g.) Axis as the WS engine. But you could certainly do without it, especially if the WS does not make use of SOAP, WSDL etc., but instead uses a lighterweight approach like REST.

Pete Neu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I read about the axis standalone mode.

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/SimpleAxisServer

Has anyone ever tried it? Could this be the solution to make a small web service avaliable? Or is there no way around using tomcat or jetty?

@Ulf: If I get the idea of REST right it means that I mimic the functionality of the complicated soap stuff to simple http communication. That means I will have to generate xml myself and provide the neccessary urls?

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SimpleAxisServer sounds interestimg, I had never noticed it before. Being an application, it should be easily embeddable in a standalone app. Certainly worth a try.

Using REST, a client access URL could be as simple as http://www.your-server.com/reporting-webservice/parameter1/parameter2/...

You're right that the resulting XML would need to be generated by your code. But from the description of what the service does that doesn't sound too hard.
[ June 12, 2006: Message edited by: Ulf Dittmer ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic