• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Axis 1.X and Axis2

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

I have a requirement to develop a simple webservice, I need to use open source framwork to achieve that, no websphere etc. I thought I could achieve that using Apache Axis, but what are the two different sections in apache axis section, one for 1.X for one for Axis2. There is no user guide available for Axis 2, where as for 1.X there are quite number of materials.
Can anyone throw some light on the same.

Thanks
Bobby.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I am using AXIS 1.4. as not much is known about the AXIS2 usage at the time I wanted to make a decision.
As regards to the user guide, 1.4 version is much predictable.
There is a mail group, but the questions asked there were for a very advanced set of users.
As far as deploying a simple web service is concerned AXIS 1.4 and JAXME (JAXB impl from APACHE)/ or the normal impl of JAXB fit the bill fine.

Thanks,
Chinmay

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Axis 2 is a complete rewrite. Axis 2 is very different from Axis 1.4. Axis 2 release 1.0 is not stable. Release 1.1 will be coming out in the next week or two. To get started developing, use a nightly release instead of 1.0.

Axis 1.x is legacy. I would not do new development in it unless you had a very good reason to do so.

Bobby Sam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Chinmay, Todd. I appreciate your reply. I have some knowledge on Axis 1.X, started working on that 1 year before but had to switch to websphere because of some political reasons. Todd you told that Axis 2 is complete rewrite of Axis 1.X, any idea where can I find the user guide and other related documentation. I found the user guide under Axis 1.X section very useful. I am sorry, i am asking these questions without doing much research from my side, I am just waiting for the weekend to do that.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic