• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JAX-RPC or JAX-WS

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I want to learn how to write Web Service an with this point I want to ask what is the difference between JAX-RPC and JAX-WS. Which one is right for me to start Web Services?

Thanks,

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here is Sun's page on the relationship between JAX-RPC and JAX-WS.

And here is another.

In this latest upheaval of Sun's approach to web services, everything has been unified (we hope) under JAX-WS. I have no idea as to how many developers are making the jump.

Bill

ahmet oguz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I want to ask another question, I install the netbeans 5.5 ide and with this ide, it is very easy to build an web service. But I am doing nothing. Everything is made by ide. and I don't like this. I want to learn what are happens, how to create, which classes I need?. so where I can learn everything about web service? Do you give a link, or book, or tutorial or etc,

Thanks,

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ilter,

coincidentally, we were just discussing how to use JAX-WS on Tomcat in this thread. You don't need any tools or J2EE server, besides the JAx-WS reference implementation, Tomcat and Ant.

Start with one of the RI samples (e.g., the one called "fromjava"), figure out how to run the apt tool that generates server-side classes, deploy the service, learn about the "@WebService" annotation and the related ones (@WebMethod, @WebParam, @Webresult, @HandlerChain) that define a WS.

This article might be of interest.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Initial version to use Java Web Service is JAX-RPC 1.0. But during next version 2.0, the folks realized that the industry was not merely doing RPC Web services, but they were also doing message-oriented Web services. So "RPC" was removed from the name and replaced with "WS" (which stands for Web Services, of course). Thus the successor to JAX-RPC 1.1 is JAX-WS 2.0 - the Java API for XML-based Web services.

In order to understand and learn web services -
1. Download TomCat 5.0 [as 6.0 has version mis-match issue with Axis 1.4]
2. AXIS 1.4 [ java2wsdl command - to create WSDL file]
3. Learn WSDL format - basically the different tags

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic