• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Does Indigo make Java Web Services irrelevant?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi -

A couple of months ago, Microsoft released "WCF" (aka "Indigo") and made it a standard part of Vista and the upcoming Windows Server 2007. Taken together with the momentum .Net has been enjoying, and how easy Visual Studio makes it to program really difficult distributed applications...

... I'm wondering if there's really a significant future for Java Web Services? Or if everybody's just basically going to "go with the crowd" and wind up writing most SOA apps in C# and ASP.Net?

What are your thoughts?
[ June 01, 2007: Message edited by: Paul Santa Maria ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you work for Microsoft ;-)

This question seems like a new spin on the age old Java vs. C# debate. The best guy I have heard talk about that is Ted Neward (who wrote the Foreward of my book). Check out Ted's article on that topic here.

I haven't worked with WCF, but I hear that people think it is a step forward. And this WCF book is selling well.

I think Java and .NET will coexist for a long, long time as platforms for SOA development. That is the whole point of SOA - that you can write code in whatever language you are most comfortable, and have it interoperate with other people's stuff.

I like Java because there is a lot of innovation in the Java world - particularly in the open source community. For Java Web Services, you've now got the mainstream standards (JAX-WS, JAXB, JSR-181) which are built in to Java EE 5 and Java SE 6. But, you have also got great alternatives coming out of the open source community such as XFire, XFire with Spring, Axis2, and the new Apache CXF.

The Java vs. .Net this is good for everybody because competition keeps both platforms improving and improving.

Paul Santa Maria
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi -

I totally agree. Thank you for the insight!

Sincerely .. PSM

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic