• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

More up to date and better than "Building Web Services with Java:" book?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I own and read much of
Building Web Services with Java: Making Sense of XML, SOAP, WSDL, and UDDI (2nd Edition). I got so deep into the trees that the forest became a distant memory. (The book is focused on Axis 1.2beta So that's pretty out of date, right? )

I took a step back, read an introductory article, and said to myself "Ya, I know this stuff. I just need to do it."

I next learned that Axis 1.4 Final is out. Next I learned "Apache Axis2/Java Version 1.2" came out on April 27th 2007 ( http://ws.apache.org/axis2/ )

As mentioned in another post, it seems like Axis 2 is the thing to learn instead.

So... I heard there may not be any Axis 2 books out there which are known to be great. There are faster answers than books anyway.

What is the answer to the question of where is the article on Axis 2 that shows how to write a "hello world"?

Is there a "UML Distilled"-like book or article that doesn't tell you the world, but tells you enough to get going?

Thanks.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If this was my problem I would get a hold of SOA Using Java� Web Services (amazon US; Sample Chapter: Basic SOA Using REST) to learn JAX-WS.

(Mark D. Hansen's posts during a recent book promotion and his homepage)

That means you will be using the GlassFish application server for the web services. Once you have a solid grasp on JAX-WS you can move to Axis 2 - at least then you only have to figure out the Axis centric stuff.

Michael Finney
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you.

That's my roommate. He's kinda weird, but he always pays his half of the rent. And he gave me this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic