• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Web Services to Non Web-based application communication

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
We developed a network product(non web-based) based on RMI commnunication. We want to expose our client as an activex control. Web Services fulfill our needs. Now i want to know, how can i communicate with my application which is didn't built on web server to web services. In turn web service communicate with client activex control.

To what extent JavaFX fulfill my requirement?

Thanks in advance,
Vbariged.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello "vbariged"-

Welcome to JavaRanch.

On your way in you may have missed that we have a policy on screen names here at JavaRanch. Basically, it must consist of a first name, a space, and a last name, and not be obviously fictitious. Since yours does not conform with it, please take a moment to change it, which you can do right here.

As to your question, I don't quite understand the architecture. The client uses WS to communicate to a server? If so, then there's problem - a WS client doesn't need to run a WS server or web server.

Acccessing COM/ActiveX objects from Java is covered in this FAQ entry.

JavaFX is something of a GUI and scripting technology; it wouldn't apply in this case.

vidya sagar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf Dittmer,
Thanks for your reply. My architecture is like..
Our application developed based on client-server model. At present it is not supporting any type of web server. It's purely implemented over RMI layer. Now i want to expose my client as Activex (mostly in VB). In future, we have planning to give web server support to our existing application.
How extent we can use Web Services which meets all of our criteria?

If not web service, what will be the best alternative?

Thanks.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In a scenario like this -where you're talking of supporting native code- I think using WS would be a better match than RMI (which only works if there's Java on both ends of the connection). Using WS would allow you to access the server from within the native code, and it can pass through firewalls more easily than RMI.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic