• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Msc Research Project - Topic

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi i have to do a research project for my Msc. I would like to do a research in web services related to artificial intelligent or security. Can anyone suggest or a propose a direction where i can select as my research title ???

Thank you.
[ October 16, 2008: Message edited by: upul indrajith ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should write your own title. Web services are about integration between systems. I think a paper about security would be very interesting.

In regards to artificial intelligence, I not too sure that web services or integration of systems are related to AI systems.

upul indrajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Appreciate if you can suggest a title or area which is worthwhile ???
ok. What are the best / possible areas in security ??? What are the possible research topics ??? etc...
[ October 16, 2008: Message edited by: upul indrajith ]

Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Appreciate if you can suggest a title or area which is worthwhile ??? ok. What are the best / possible areas in security ??? What are the possible research topics ??? etc...

It will be best for you to come up with your own title. In order to create a title, you really need to study a bit and first identify what you will research. It will be very difficult for you to create a title, if you do not know what the research will be based on.

It's not about researching the "best" areas, it is about researching the "important" areas of security and web services.

First, you should learn what "web services" are and then learn the various types of "web services" that can exist. Don't focus too much on how to implement them, just learn the high-level differences between different types of services. Learn what service granularity and service orchestration are. Learn the differences between a service-oriented architecture and a web service. Then ...

In terms of security, there are a bunch of standards to learn about, e.g. WS-Security, XML Encryption, XML Addressing, JAX-WS. Security is implemented with SOAP extensions and handlers. Security is very important to implementing web services properly.

Remember this, web services are about integration not implementation.

Goob reference material below:

Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass
Published by IBM Press

Enterprise SOA
Service-Oriented Architecture Best Practices

Published by Prentice Hall

Good luck!
[ October 16, 2008: Message edited by: James Clark ]

upul indrajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Really appreciate your worthwhile response. Yes i know that i have to gain a decent knowledge on the area and underline architecture where i m doing my research . but my institute says that the research should be done to provide a solution to an existing problem. So i have to find a problem domain first. That is the most difficult part. The difficulty is to find a problem domain because all the problems may be already implemented by someone else. Lets say that i m going to do a research on the XML encryption , but what is the problem domain ??? How to find a problem domain ?? .ok. Lets say that my topic is Web service secure communication. So how to find a solution ???. Because there are plenty of methods already implemented to provide web service security.

Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
XML Encryption is one tool used for securing web services, and for security in a service-oriented system overall. If you choose to do your research in SOA Security, and start to read and learn what the issues are, I'm sure you will discover what the problem areas are.

Implementing strong, sound security in an enterprise system is a challenging effort. Typically, security is pushed aside as an after thought until towards the end of a project. Security design should be a major priority and development of a security solution should be done in parrallel to the development of a system.

Service-oriented architectures are very difficult to build and take many years to make solid. Many failures occur as well. Why do attempts at SOA fail? From a technical perspective, a distributed computing system and the technologies needed are not the difficult parts, yet attempts at SOA solutions still fail. Why? How can you design secure web services? What are the differences between design-time governance and run-time governance?

You have to think creatively and find something for your project. Good luck!
[ October 22, 2008: Message edited by: James Clark ]

upul indrajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unfortunately i m unable to find a topic in SOA yet. I thought of developing a service discovery engine by applying artificial intelligence , but later i found plenty of such applications which has already implemented by various people.

Can some one put some light on this ??? I m running out of my time ..... Now i don't like to select a topic in some other area. So if some one can suggest / tell me some open problem in SOA (Specially service discovery / Integration areas ) it will be a great help to conduct my research based on that.

or else have i missed something here ???

Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are unable to identify a topic, you may not be ready to write such a paper. I suggest a few months of research or possibly take another few classes in the program to help strengthen your abilities.

Good luck!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic