• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is SCJP test adapive?

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been reading lot of posts in the "results" forum. Many ppl say that the actual tests are simpler than mocks, some say they are tougher. Especially this is true for the topics such as threads; where some say that questions are mostly basic, while others say that they are tricky and extensive. Most of the well known mocks are public and have fixed level of difficulty, moreover they have same questions over the period of time.
This makes me wonder whether the actual test is adaptive; and advanced enough to generate random questions based on your previous answers OR is it just plain luck and/or perspective of an individual?
I would be grateful if ppl who have taken the actual test and those who have been associted with it could provide some insight.
TIA,
- Manish

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
NO it is not. i was aslo confused abut this.but when marcus said NO then i was convinced.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is not adaptive. 59 questions randomly selected from the database based on several categories. That way you can't get 59 thread questions.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Supposedly the possibility of making the test adaptive has been raised at Sun, but I don't think they have decided to do it.
Creating a fair adaptive test requires gathering LOTS of beta test results in order to rank the questions by difficulty within each topic.
We (Lanwrights) made some adaptive tests to emulate the Microsoft tests which are adaptive. It takes a big pool of questions that have been ranked.
Bill
------------------
author of:

Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
It is not adaptive. 59 questions randomly selected from the database based on several categories. That way you can't get 59 thread questions.

Thank God!
59 thread questions will make a rope that could tie anyone down.
Hmmm, I guess it's plain luck if you get tough ones in this. That's life.
- Manish

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not adaptive and it is only difficult in the sense that you have to know the subject well. Part of the trick is to ensure you spend your time well by getting a good understanding of the things that can come up, and don't worry too much about the rest of the stuff you can learn over the rest of your Java career.
Thus for example, although it requires a good knowledge of some aspects of Threading, areas of Threading are not tested at all (ie you can be ignorant of ThreadGroup). But if you don't know the signature of the the run method and the requirements for the use of wait/notify you might be tripped up.

Marcus

------------------

http://www.jchq.net Mock Exams, FAQ,
Tutorial, Links, Book reviews
Java 2 Exam Prep, 2nd Edition by Bill Brogden and Marcus Green
=================================================
JCHQ, Almost as good as JavaRanch
=================================================

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic