• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2ME/MIDP is crippleware

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This implementation is very nice as long as you don't need to interact with _ANY_ other information on the device. Anything you build is TOTALLY isolated from any other application or data on the device. I consider this to be a major flaw in the implementation. At the very least, we should still have access to the equivalent of the com.sun.kjava.Database class so we can access the address book, memos, etc. No App is an island!
Due to this one limitation I am forced to continue to use the "old" CLDC/KJava classes...
If anyone knows any way to access a Palm Database (PDB) from within a MIDLet, PLEASE let me know!
Thanks,
jck
John C. Kendall
johnlkendall@palm.net
jkendall@technologist.com

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"johnckendall",
The Java Ranch has thousands of visitors every week, many with surprisingly similar names. To avoid confusion we have a naming convention, described at http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp . We require names to have at least two words, separated by a space, and strongly recommend that you use your full real name. Please log in with a new name which meets the requirements.
Thanks.

--Mark

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by johnckendall:
This implementation is very nice as long as you don't need to interact with _ANY_ other information on the device. Anything you build is TOTALLY isolated from any other application or data on the device. I consider this to be a major flaw in the implementation. At the very least, we should still have access to the equivalent of the com.sun.kjava.Database class so we can access the address book, memos, etc. No App is an island!
Due to this one limitation I am forced to continue to use the "old" CLDC/KJava classes...
If anyone knows any way to access a Palm Database (PDB) from within a MIDLet, PLEASE let me know!

Three comments
This is a major limitation of Java in general, that it is on top of the OS, and cannot interact with it as easily as C/C++, Just as J2SE has gotten better over the years, so will J2ME.
Companies are producing Java OS, which will have much better support for JVMs, and allow easier interactions with the OS.
Talk to the JSR-75 spec lead, he works at Palm, and it looks like you do, too :-)

--Mark

johnckendall
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was kind of hoping someone would correct me and tell me there is a way to get info from the databases! I hope you are right and the API's will be addressed in the jsr-75, but I've heard that they won't...
Actually the palm.net e-mail is for my palm viix (i don't work for palm).
--Mark

Companies are producing Java OS, which will have much better support for JVMs, and allow easier interactions with the OS.
Talk to the JSR-75 spec lead, he works at Palm, and it looks like you do, too :-)

--Mark

------------------
John C. Kendall
jkendall@technologist.com
johnlkendall@palm.net

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are a couple of reasons why Sun avoided access to the various parts of a device:
- security
- ease of defining an API suitable to the tens and tens of device manufacturers
I think what you'll see is improvements in two areas:
- new APIs will get defined once the initial release J2ME is out there on rela devices, and stable. Let's say in 6-12 months.
- device manufacturers will add their own device-specific libraries to give you access.
It will come, but don't forget, when plain old Java arrived in the mid-90s, it didn't have the rich API it has now, and it was still reasonably successful. I think J2ME will go the same way - its no miracle cure for mobile programming right now, but if Sun and other vendors (s/w & h/w) persevere, then it will become successful. But give it a year or two more, eh!
------------------
Richard Taylor
Author of Professional Java Mobile Programming

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
MIDP is meant to be portable across a wide range of devices. It is NOT a Java implementation geared specifically for Palm devices. Besides that, there are political issues to contend with -- as I understand it, in the United States the FCC places strict limits on the interaction between the "computing" and "phone" sides of a Java-enabled phone....
Eric

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic