• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Searching for a good J2ME book

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
can someone recommend a good book about J2ME programming for beginners?
thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
book from Addison Wesley is excellent ( technical aspect ) isbn 0201746271
book from sams is excellent ( practical aspect )isbn 0672321351

Dirk Trompetter
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you, i'll check these books.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How is Wrox's Professional Java Mobile Programming?
I've heard mixed reviews on it. (actually, there were only 3 reviews on amazon and one was bad. but the same reviewer gave Yu Feng's J2ME book full marks, so could just be sabotage?).

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Christophe Lee:
How is Wrox's Professional Java Mobile Programming?
I've heard mixed reviews on it. (actually, there were only 3 reviews on amazon and one was bad. but the same reviewer gave Yu Feng's J2ME book full marks, so could just be sabotage?).

As one of the authors, I noticed that review. It was critical of the fact that there was no coverage of the MIDP for Palm. In fact, there is coverage, but only one page - the reason being that there's not a lot to say about MIDP for Palm! It works, just like any other MIDP implementation (bugs aside), so there didn't seem much point in laburing over it, other than a description of how to run a simple MIDP application.
(If anyone wants to see more than that, then do tell me! Maybe there's something obvious that I haven't seen...)
The other criticism was that it was too simple. This is partly valid, but when you're faced with a new technology, as J2ME is, you cannot afford to ignore basic introductions - that would be unacceptable. As for the complex stuff, I think there's some good stuff on JMS, hooking into servlets, RMI (and pseudo-RMI), security, synchronisation, and so on, so I fell the criticism was a little harsh.
As an aside, if you compare it to Wrox's Professional WAP book, I believe its pitched at the same level, with a mix of introductory and advanced chapters, and that got excellent reviews. Oh, well, you can't please everyone - but we try our best :-)
------------------
Richard Taylor
Author of Professional Java Mobile Programming

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't forget that people are more inclined to criticize you in public than praise you. Readers who dislike a book are much more likely to complain about it. Readers who like a book probably won't write a review about it. So you have to take the Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, at least when it comes to the extremely negative views. Also, you can't please everyone -- no matter how many people tell you they love your book, there will always be someone who wasn't satisfied. Hopefully, the majority of readers like it.
------------------
Eric Giguere
author of:
Java 2 Micro Edition : A Professional Developer's Guide
PalmTM Database Programming: The Complete Developer's Guide

bacon. tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic