• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Does j2me support dynamic loading of libraries?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am new to j2me and have a couple of questions:
1) There is so much talk about j2me enabled phones in the market these days. What OS do these phones support?
2) When we talk of java class library, are we actually talking about the class files? Is there anything akin to a dll in java? Is there a way by which we can use existing dlls in j2me?
3) Is there a way to dynamically load libraries in j2me akin to dynamic loading of libraries that we have in windows?
3) Does j2me support COM? Is it possible to load COM objects written in C++ in j2me?
Your views will be well appreciated...
Thanx

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ruchika Dhingra:
1) There is so much talk about j2me enabled phones in the market these days. What OS do these phones support?

It depends on the phone. Check with the phone's vendor for more information.

2) When we talk of java class library, are we actually talking about the class files? Is there anything akin to a dll in java? Is there a way by which we can use existing dlls in j2me?
3) Is there a way to dynamically load libraries in j2me akin to dynamic loading of libraries that we have in windows?

Yes, there are Java classes and a virtual machine, just like J2SE. Some of the classes are different or not available depending on which flavor of J2ME you are using.
The (loose) equivalent of DLL's in Java are jar files. Jar files are supported under J2ME, but how much support and what you can do with them varies by flavor and even implementation of J2ME.

3) Does j2me support COM? Is it possible to load COM objects written in C++ in j2me?

Some flavors of J2ME support JNI calls.

--Mark

Ruchika Dhingra
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx for the reply Mark.
By flavors of j2me, do you mean the configuration and the profile that I am using?
I am using CLDC/MIDP 1.0 for j2me enabled phones.
To explain my problem more clearly, I have a couple of COM objects that can be used by developers of Epoch and Windows CE games. I am researching into the scope of work involved in making a similar set of objects available for developers of games for j2me enabled phones (whether w ecan reuse the our existing COM objects in any way). Also, I am trying to figure out the limitations of the graphics, input and audio support provided by j2me. One thing that I figured out during this study was that j2me has no support for audio. So how do the games available for such phones play music.. or are they all silent games?
Another thing that I was trying to find out was whether it is possile to add a new feature set beside profile. Is this something that needs to be handled at the manufacturer's end?
Thanx for all your support.
Ruchika

What do you have in that there bucket? It wouldn't be a tiny ad by any chance ...
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic