• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

new to j2me ..... please help !

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi
i,am new to j2me . i've recently installed j2me toolkit . I don't know anything about j2me . Please tell me what am i suppose to do next. Do i need to install forte for java ? . I'd selected the standalone option , not the integrated .
Please guide me
thanks in advance
raghav...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't need to install Forte, you just need a text editor. When you run the toolkit and create a new project the toolkit creates a bunch of files for you and an empty src directory. Place your Java source files in there and then press the build button.
Of course, the toolkit assumes you know how to program applications for the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP). Go to http://java.sun.com/products/midp and from there you'll find links to tutorials and so on that will help you out. Or buy a book, like my new one.

------------------
Eric Giguere
author/co-author of:
Mobile Information Device Profile for Java 2 Micro Edition: Professional Developer's Guide
Java 2 Micro Edition: Professional Developer's Guide
PalmTM Database Programming: The Complete Developer's Guide

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IS there a dowloadable version available of ur book or any other ?
also tell me whether i need to set a path in my autoexec.bat in order to develop midlets and run them on the wireless toolkit .
thanks in advacnce
raghav

Originally posted by Eric Giguere:
You don't need to install Forte, you just need a text editor. When you run the toolkit and create a new project the toolkit creates a bunch of files for you and an empty src directory. Place your Java source files in there and then press the build button.
Of course, the toolkit assumes you know how to program applications for the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP). Go to http://java.sun.com/products/midp and from there you'll find links to tutorials and so on that will help you out. Or buy a book, like my new one.

[This message has been edited by raghav mathur (edited December 07, 2001).]

Eric Giguere
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, there is no downloadable version of the book. However, a sample chapter from it and two sample chapters from my previous J2ME book are available for download at http://www.j2medeveloper.com -- you might want to grab them to get a better idea of what J2ME is about.
No, you don't have to adjust your paths for the J2ME Wireless Toolkit. Install it, and then go to your Start menu and find its folder and run the "KToolbar" application. This is your "command station" for using the Toolkit.
Eric

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eric Giguere
i,am confused on ceratin topics . I want to get the concepts into my head first and then go for a book purchase. I need your help on this , please .

(1) What is the dif between midp development and developing wireless applications with j2me toolkit ?
(2) Does developing midlets a part of midp ? ...... if yes , then what do we develop using j2me ?
I would really appreciate if you enlighten me on this one please .
Thanks a ton
raghav...

No, there is no downloadable version of the book. However, a sample chapter from it and two sample chapters from my previous J2ME book are available for download at http://www.j2medeveloper.com -- you might want to grab them to get a better idea of what J2ME is about.
No, you don't have to adjust your paths for the J2ME Wireless Toolkit. Install it, and then go to your Start menu and find its folder and run the "KToolbar" application. This is your "command station" for using the Toolkit.
Eric

Eric Giguere
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why don't you read the sample chapter from my book, then, it's "Java 2 Micro Edition Basics" and it should help with the terminology. But to answer your questions: the J2ME Wireless Toolkit is free software from Sun that lets you currently build MIDP applications. It may be expanded in the future to support further J2ME profiles, but for now it's pretty much MIDP-focused. But any Java development tool can be used for MIDP development. The toolkit is nice in that it integrates all the pieces. But you can get similar things for Forte (well, that's just the toolkit, really), JBuilder, CodeWarrior, etc.
MIDlets are MIDP applications.

------------------
Eric Giguere
author/co-author of:
Mobile Information Device Profile for Java 2 Micro Edition: Professional Developer's Guide

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eric Giguere
Thanks for the information . I think i,am getting the whole idea behind j2me ( slowly ) . Why i,am asking you to solve these petty queries in the beginig is that i can understand the concepts better when i purchase the book .
What all i've understood from your posts and some pdf's which i've dowloaded is that j2me like j2ee is a platform on which we develop wireless applications using j2me toolkit which helps us in the development to midp applications ( i.e the MIDlets .)..... am i right ?
So when we talk about j2me , we actualy are talking about midp application ..... is that so ?
Tell me one more thing ...... IF we are ultimately developing midp application , then is it not better to buy a book on midp rather than j2me .

thanks once again for your patience .
raghav...

Why don't you read the sample chapter from my book, then, it's "Java 2 Micro Edition Basics" and it should help with the terminology. But to answer your questions: the J2ME Wireless Toolkit is free software from Sun that lets you currently build MIDP applications. It may be expanded in the future to support further J2ME profiles, but for now it's pretty much MIDP-focused. But any Java development tool can be used for MIDP development. The toolkit is nice in that it integrates all the pieces. But you can get similar things for Forte (well, that's just the toolkit, really), JBuilder, CodeWarrior, etc.
MIDlets are MIDP applications.

Eric Giguere
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
raghav, why don't you do like I said and download the sample chapter from my book? It's free, it's in PDF format, and it will answer a lot of your basic questions. You can download it from http://www.j2medeveloper.com/midpbook/index.html. Read it first, it's not too long, and then I can answer any further questions you have. (But to answer one question: no, J2ME != MIDP. MIDP is just one part of J2ME, although right now it's the most active part. But J2ME includes things like PersonalJava, so there's a wide variation in terms of the capabilities of J2ME applications and the Java environments they run in.)

------------------
Eric Giguere
author/co-author of:

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
eric
i've read the chapters you told me to . I've also read the pdf's with the j2me kit . Now i know what is actualy happeneing .
I've even writem my first MIDlet .
Now tell me what am i suppose to do next ?
thanks in advance
raghav...

raghav, why don't you do like I said and download the sample chapter from my book? It's free, it's in PDF format, and it will answer a lot of your basic questions. You can download it from http://www.j2medeveloper.com/midpbook/index.html. Read it first, it's not too long, and then I can answer any further questions you have. (But to answer one question: no, J2ME != MIDP. MIDP is just one part of J2ME, although right now it's the most active part. But J2ME includes things like PersonalJava, so there's a wide variation in terms of the capabilities of J2ME applications and the Java environments they run in.)

[This message has been edited by raghav mathur (edited December 14, 2001).]

Eric Giguere
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you do next? Up to you. What do you want to do? What problem are you trying to solve?
Eric

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't have any projects to work on and rather i've just started working with midlets . Should i buy your midp book for more information and tutorial on midp .
thanks a lot
raghav...

What do you do next? Up to you. What do you want to do? What problem are you trying to solve?
Eric

Eric Giguere
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I'm not going to say no about you buying my book, am I? :-)
Seriously, I do think my book is a good buy for anyone interested in MIDP development. You can read more about it at http://www.j2medeveloper.com/midpbook/index.html -- look closely at the detailed table of contents to see what's covered. I received good feedback on my first J2ME book and you'll probably start seeing detailed reviews of this one showing up on Amazon now that it's been out enough for people to have read it.
Eric

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
fine ....
i'll check it out
thanks once again for your help .
i'll be needing your help in future .
thanks
raghav...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello guys... Very interesting stuff that i've been reading in this topic. I'm even newer in this topic but thanks for the URL's, i'm looking forward to read all this stuff and perharps buy your book. I've got a question: I'm planning to create a small program in java that stores people's profiles (what they want to receive in their wireless devices). So, for example, if I like to be alerted for stock changes, this information will be sent automatically to my mobile. This "new technology" is called Wireless JMS middleware (you can read it at softwired). am I screwing up all the concepts? is it feasible to develop a very small application like that (it could even be a prototype)?? it should be, but is it too complex to use in conjuction with JMS?? is J2ME going to help me at all?? what tools do you guys recommend me to use?
thanks in advance.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can download a copy of WHITEBoard SDK, It's designed specially for J2ME development,and it's free. but it has so many many bugs.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
where can we install j2me ?
which devices ?
let me know some devices that can run applications written with j2me.

Originally posted by Andres, Gonzalez:
Hello guys... Very interesting stuff that i've been reading in this topic. I'm even newer in this topic but thanks for the URL's, i'm looking forward to read all this stuff and perharps buy your book. I've got a question: I'm planning to create a small program in java that stores people's profiles (what they want to receive in their wireless devices). So, for example, if I like to be alerted for stock changes, this information will be sent automatically to my mobile. This "new technology" is called Wireless JMS middleware (you can read it at softwired). am I screwing up all the concepts? is it feasible to develop a very small application like that (it could even be a prototype)?? it should be, but is it too complex to use in conjuction with JMS?? is J2ME going to help me at all?? what tools do you guys recommend me to use?
thanks in advance.

Would anybody like some fudge? I made it an hour ago. And it goes well with a tiny ad ...
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic