• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

PALM 'ready to roll' ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm begining to use the J2ME emulator and now
I'm thinking about purchasing a PALM device.
My question is: would say a PALM VIIx come 'ready
to roll' as far as the MIDP and KVM (all the things required to run my programs) and if not how does this work? How much prep is required to run programs developed on the emulator to run on the PALM?
I'm new to this so please pardon my ignorance.
Any advice on PALM purchase would be greatly appreciated.
My requirement is that am able to connect to a
J2EE server either through a modem, or network connection.
Wireless in the future.
Thanks in advance.
George.

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Developing for PALM is not that difficult.
First you develop your MIDlet as usual. Then when you are over with them, you build the JAR and JAD files. The next step is to convert those JAR/JAD file into a PRC file (executable PALM application). And finally, you send that to your PALM and test it. You can download from Sun's website, a package called midp4palm and read the instructions...Amazingly easy. Just let us know if you encounter any problems.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by George Thomas:
My requirement is that am able to connect to a
J2EE server either through a modem, or network connection.
Wireless in the future.

I think you will have to buy a wireless lan card separately.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Valentin,
The next step is to convert those JAR/JAD file into a PRC file (executable PALM application).

Can u please elaborate on how to convert jar/jad to prc file.
Thanks in advance
PR

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Valentin,
what is a MIDlet?
Do you do J2ME programming?

Valentin Crettaz
Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pooja,
When you are happy with your MIDlet (i.e. it compiles, it has no bug any more and it works), you JAR (with jar) it and write de JAD file (Java Application Descriptor). Once you have them both, you have to somehow convert them to something that the PALM OS will understand. To achieve that we have a nice little application in the midp4palm package called Concerter. You just have to start it. Then you use the Converter to retrieve the JAR and JAD files (which must be in the same directory). Once you are in the right directory you select the JAD file (by means of file chooser) and click on the "Convert" button.
This creates a new file called "something.prc" and there you go.
So as you can see, there is really no difficulties in doing that. The PRD file is just a few clicks away...
MIDP4PALM package
Rob,
yes I do J2ME development, too. I find it very interesting and challenging since sometimes you have to go back to the olds days and make sure your application is not too demanding and hungry.
Basically, a MIDlet is a small application designed to run on Java-enabled devices like cell-phones, pager, handhelds, etc...
A MIDlet is generally a subclass of the abstract class javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet. The latter declares some abstract methods (startApp,pauseApp,destroyApp) that you have to implement. Those methods are invoked by the underlying OS. So you have to make sure that you provide a body for those abstract methods and that's pretty much it. You have several primitive GUI classes that you can use to make up the user interface which is organized almost like a CardLayout. You can also use networking primitives to make connections to the outside world. Finally, devices provide storing capabilities, so that you can use their ROM to store a limited amount of things you MIDlets need.
I hope this clear thins up a bit...
A good link is http://wireless.java.sun.com
[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Valentin Crettaz ]

Rob Ross
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That sounds cool. I'd like to get into that...after I learn about 1000 other things first, like J2EE ;p
Actually, I think I am almost ready to start writing software for PDAs. The iPod from Apple, although not a PDA, is a good example of where this technology is going. I have several ideas for hand-held applications but they require much more data than is currently available on your normal PDA. Once you start getting 5 and 10 G of storage space available to you on a PDA, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities!

Valentin Crettaz
Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yep, the iPaq already have like 64MB of RAM and the same amount of ROM so you can imagine that it's already interesting to develop on iPaq... (as long as you don't want to store "big" files, MP3s and stuff... )

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic