• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Personal Java / looking for AWT compatible widget sets

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am looking for AWT 1.1.8 compatible widget sets for a PersonalJava project I am working on. Specifically, I need something that behaves very similarly to the the javax.microedition.lcdui.List object. I need both the ability to display an image and label as essentially a link. I am going to start working on a little widget of my own, but 5 years ago AWT widget sets abounded. Alas, I have a short memory for where they lived '
I will also be looking for a calendar widget.
With the new Personal Profile in the works, I imagine this topic will really heat up!
Thanks,
Nancy

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have you had a look at what is provided on http://www.kawt.de/ I'm not sure if you'll find what you're looking for but worth a look.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You may want to look at Espresso by Espial which can be downloaded from devicetop.com
I am currently using it in a PersonalJava itv/javatv proejct and found it to be great..

Fred Grott
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nancy the specific item you will use in Espresso is Etable to do the image and text side by side as a link..

Nancy Lehrer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here is what I have finally found. Just as background, I am porting a fairly substantial business application from the J2ME MIDP environment to a PDA environment. The LCDUI in the J2ME MIDP/CLDC stack just looks far too clumbsy on the larger PDA screens.
Espresso from http://www.espial.com is very nice, but very expensive. Not only do they want over $10K for the dev licence, they also want a hefty RTU licence for each product you sell. They are more in the market of selling full java environments for large platform companies to embed in their products. For example, Samsung might want to sell a PDA based on a Java OS and need a PIM. Hence, their prices are not aimed at the ISV.
On the other hand, I found this very nice package from a cool group of 4 guys from Belarus Look at the LwVCL from http://www.zaval.org The documentation is somewhat sparse, but nothing that a good Java Developer can't work with. Although they don't mention it explicitly, it works beautifully in the pjava (PersonalJava) environment (my target environment) and it actually is aimed not at being built ontop of AWT, but replacing it with a more efficient GUI library. It looks very promising so far.
I also know about SuperWaba, but alas, since SuperWaba has a very small intersection with java (only java.lang), I would need to rewrite all my non-API code too.
Thanks for all the responses, and I hope that this information is useful for others.
Nancy

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic