• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

storing long values in memory

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, couple of things to start with. A) I'm new to JAVA. B) I've jumped into the deep end and skipped everything to get to J2ME. C) Please be kind, my head hurts a little already.
I'm looking for some advice, perhaps a link to a tutorial about storing long strings in memory as opposed to rms.
It is my understanding that after deleting a record from the record store, that a reference is still there, although not accessible by the midlet. I would like to avoid having any "leftovers" in my application and am wondering whether or not there is a way to keep information around across several screens without commiting it to a record store.
whew, a little long winded. sorry. Thanks in advance!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hmmm...well, the recordstores are usually for persistent storage....if you just want to pass data across several screens, one way to do that would be to encapsulate your data as an object, referenced from the main midlet. other classes could then get a handle on that object via get methods from the main midlet (or the main midlet simply pases it to the classes via parameters)
if you are using MIDP, then recordstores would be the way to store data across time. large amounts of data would probably be better stored on the server...the MIdlet would simply pass it to a servlet/jsp page for storage into logfiles or a relational database such as mysql or oracle, along with a unique id that would allow it to get back the data after some time.
[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: a sanjuan ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic